Sunday, July 26, 2009

Madina Market...

This morning I was watching Korkor prepare her breakfast and I realized that I hadn't been in a real food market . There are many western style supermarkets in Accra now but the place to be is the "market".
So, Korkor offered to take me to Madina Market which is about 10 minutes drive from their house. The bonus was that this is Sunday and many of the sellers don't work on Sunday. When I saw all the empty stalls I realized that had I come on any other day of the week I would have been overwhelmed by the crowded market.
The market is a colourful place with more good smells than bad.
It was fun to watch Korkor buy veggies and salted pigs feet! It was interesting to see how things were measured. The woman selling the spicy peppers had 3 different sized tin cans, she mentioned the price for each size can. The cool part was that every seller overflowed their cans or gave a few extra items.
There wasn't much bargaining involved, they set a price and if you are willing to pay you buy it. You might say "oh, for that price you should give me a little extra"...and they do.
This girl works in the market as a "kaya yo"...which means carrier woman. She appeared out of no where when we were purchasing our first item and then she followed and carried everything we bought. When we were finished she loaded the things into the car and we gave her a tip.
I bought some single packs of spices from this stall...the woman was happy for me to take a photo of the stall but she moved out of the stall because she didn't want to be in the photo.

This lady is selling salted pigs feet...I was surprised that they weren't stinky and there were more flies around the tomatoes than the meat.
This is the spicy pepper lady with the tin can measuring cups. She is also selling "garden eggs" which are the white veggies in the right corner of the photo...they are a type of eggplant.


On the way home I had to take photos of JodiLyn Enterprise....as many of you know my name is Jodi Lynn so I was quite thrilled to find a shop that shares my name. It is more common to have religious names for businesses, like God is Great Spot, My Blessings Food Shop, The Lord is My Shepard Fitter...etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment