Friday, July 3, 2009

Winneba

Last time I came to Ghana 13 years ago, Tony and I visited a friend of his in Winneba...I have never forgotten how amazing the beach was so I insisted we stop by on the way to Cape Coast.
These were likely part of resort at some time but they are now deserted....too bad because the location is awesome...I don't know why these resorts have failed??

Sheep beside the beach...has anyone lost any sheep??? There are animals everywhere but I can't figure out who owns them??? ahhh..palms in the breeze....

my new screen savers... More deserted resorts...so sad...

Beach and palms...paradise.... kids enjoying the holiday at the beach...

A pool built into the sea...a remnant from the resorts I suppose... Tony and the kids standing on a rock near the surf....a few minutes later huge waves crashed over it....hmmmm...lucky us!!

1 comment:

  1. Chidhood memories abound.. I practically grew up on these beaches. Winneba,s beaches used to be tourists' paradise. Back in the days when i was a schoolboy Europeans, as well as Lebanese flocked to the Winneba beaches in droves.They had a beach club,golf ranges near the beach, chalets were all fully booked on weekends. Somehow, following the infamous Busia's compliance Act the Europeans and the Lebanese left the country the beaches, along with the beautiful chalets were abandoned.It later became known as Sir Charles Beach. It thrived for a while but as you know, we Africans do not respect upkeep of property. Yes you are right. The picture shown are just remnants of golden days past.

    ReplyDelete