Friday, July 17, 2009

Settling in...

Good Morning all!
Oliver and I just toddled down to the Internet cafe for a quick email check and for him to get his fill of video games. I had to wait for the Bernie Mac show to finish....there are about 5 channels that come through on our TV and although some of them are a little fuzzy I actually enjoy the one channel VSAT 1 that shows Friends, Bernie Mac and Cosby show in the mornings. It is a nice break from the voodoo and magic that is always the theme of the Ghanaian or Nigerian shows. I have actually started to enjoy this one South African soap opera!! I have never been a soap opera watcher at home so who knows where this may lead!

I don't have any photos to post this morning. The past few days we have been doing some shopping in the chaos of central Accra and visiting with family and friends.

Last night we met Tony's university gang at Legon Hall at the University. We sat outside chatting and drinking and eating for about 4 hours. Thankfully I had brought along my Odomos (insect repellent...made in India...easy on the skin and it works!)....when we realized we would be outside we lathered up. I don't know that there would have been too many mosquitoes anyhow because there was a colony of bats flying around the tree above us and they were likely feasting on all the mosquitoes.

We were all feasting on pork kebabs and eventually sausages....the pepper on the pork kebabs burned my lips and tongue so although they smelled amazing and tasted good I couldn't take another bite!

The kids tried a new soda that just came out in Ghana "Alvaro"...it tastes like Muscatella....sort of like sprite or ginger ale but much sweeter. They have so many yummy soda flavours here that are made by Coca Cola, Pepsi or Guinness...I don't know why we don't get the yummy stuff?? They don't seem to have any diet pop though...some places have something with a label that looks like Diet Coke but it is called Coke light and it doesn't taste like Diet Coke...I think they still use saccharin here so it has that after taste that diet pop used to have in Canada.

It hasn't rained in a few days and the temperature is rising...even when it is overcast it is still sweltering. People keep telling me that I came here at the best time and that February through April is unbearable. Tony's cousin works in Chad and she said that when she arrived there on the plane they announced the local time was 10pm and the temp was 42 degrees!! OUCH!

My internet time is up so I should sign off and get home...Grandma is due to arrive and we are off to have lunch with a cousin.

No comments:

Post a Comment