Sunday, June 28, 2009

Priscilla's Engagement

Shots of yesterday's engagement...and my attempt at explaining how engagements happen in Ghana....

Ladies like to dress up...

Oliver accepting a gift from his "future-brother-in-law" Catering team...

The bride-to-be Priscilla...



The Groom-to-be...


A white bible is always part of the engagement gifts from the man's family to the woman...the list of gifts is extensive...from pots to a sewing machine to whisky...

We had some trouble with rain filling up the canopies we rented but that didn't "dampen" the event at all...

Cleaning up all the water before the guests arrive...
Charity and I with Albert (Priscilla's oldest son)
Charity had fun in her African dress...it was quickly assembled from the cloth I bought for Lisa...don't worry Lisa it's still in one piece!


All dressed up for the occasion...Charity and I with Grandma and some uncles...
Charity playing Ludo with her cousin Rachel while Albert stays glued to his Auntie Charity...Chief Oliver...laughter...

Tony with the Mother-of-the-bride
Oliver and Charity with their new Brother-in-law

The Bride in her Party Dress
Dancing with an Auntie...
Yesterday we hosted about 200 people at the house for our niece's engagement. Because Tony's elder brother passed away in 1994 it means that Priscilla his only daughter will now see Tony as her father. In turn our kids become her siblings and Aunt and Uncle to her children. This meant that Tony and the kids played a role in the ceremony. It was very interesting.
I still don't quite get the whole process but I will do my best to explain what little I understand.
In Ghana marriage happens in 3 stages. First the groom-to-be goes to visit the bride-to-be's family and expresses his intentions to marry her. Once the family agrees the couple is free to live together and start a family. They should then set a date for an enagement, which is a fairly complicated ceremony of bringing two families together and the man's family bringing a whole lot of gifts (a dowry) to the women's family. Many people come to witness the ceremony. It is a marriage of two families not just two people...it continues with drinking and eating and dancing...similar to our wedding receptions...it is hosted by the women's family.

Later the couple should set a date for a marriage which can be a church wedding and of course another party.

1 comment:

  1. Okay, I finally signed in as a follower. I have really enjoyed following your trip. It is interesting to see the contrast between rural and urban Ghana. I think the irregular electricity would start to get to me. The only thing that helps me tolerate Texas heat is the air conditioning. It has been up to 98-102 degrees F lately (about 37-40 degrees C). You never say just how hot it is there. Do you get temperature readings? I think I would be like you, when you say you are all sweaty and sticky and everyone else seems fresh. Does Tony tolerate it any better? Or is he climatized to Victoria weather?

    I have enjoyed showing my own kids your photos. They have a hard time visualizing how people live in other areas of the world. You are doing a great job documenting your trip. I hope you continue to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete