Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Trying to fit in...

Yesterday morning we woke up and realized that we had a huge pile of laundry. We can't get used to asking people to do things for us so we decided to try and do the washing....we should have video taped that scene...laughter...

Tony was doing the washing part and we were supposed to be rinsing but we got overwhelmed with suds...there were bubbles everywhere....Richard was helping as well and I don't know what we would have done without him...the other women in the house were bring us more and more buckets and it was so funny.

Everything is done by hand, you need a wash bucket, two rinse buckets and a bucket for the clothes that are ready to hang....they don't use the bar type soap as much anymore...they use a powder called OMO...even if it's not OMO brand they still call it OMO....we had underestimated how much lather would come from the soap.

With water splashing everywhere the mosquitoes came so we had to send the kids indoors and I was put in charge of hanging things on the line away from the water.

Tony didn't want to admit the pain in his back from washing but we will all appreciate the help we get from now on.


As many of you know I love the bread here!! I could live on it. So far we have tried 3 types, butter bread is a rectangle and a basic white bread....sugar bread looks more like a soft french bread but it tastes sweet...tea bread is just too good for words....it looks like an italian loaf with flour on the top but it is so soft....sometimes they have tea bread buns too....YUMMY...

So, I was telling the gang at home that I prefer tea bread and I was asking if any of the kiosks in the neighbourhood sell it because I want to go and buy it myself.

They were scolding me for not telling them earlier that I prefer the tea bread and they want to go to a shop and get the tea bread for my breakfast before they go to work. I keep telling them I want to do it myself but they enjoy doing stuff for us. We are struggling to do things for ourselves but it is part of culture and family here to do things for others.

Even in traffic no matter how chaotic you have to sit back and realize the musical nature of it. There are often traffic lights that sit unlit...not in use...there may be 5 roads coming together...no lights...no traffic cop...major traffic volume...but....the traffic flows in a river of honking and waving and nodding....even when a one lane road becomes 3 the vehicles manage to keep on moving...we've seen a couple of crashes here but considering the volume of traffic it all runs smoothly.

No comments:

Post a Comment