Friday, June 26, 2009

Rain....

I tried to post a few days ago at a cafe but with no luck. I'll try and post it again even though so much has happened since then.

Thursday morning the sound of the rain was so loud, you can't imagine how much rain can fall in such a short time. It dumps rain on Vancouver Island but Ghana's rain is a super dump!

Very quickly the rain gets so thick you can't see through it and the thunder is deafening.

When it rains the family quickly opens up this huge steel box (bigger than a full size freezer), it is postitioned under a spout that dumps water from the roof. Then they place large buckets like giant garbage cans (but much more colourful) under the other spouts that literally shoot water from the roof. Once these buckets are full they shift them and replace them with another. Very resourceful...this water is used for eveything. There are colourful ladles for moving water from the giant buckets to smaller ones that can be carried.



The rain also creates potholes that could swallow your car and cause major traffic delays.

We lived this Thursday as we travelled to the mountians to see Aburi Gardens. The drive should take about 1 hour but it took closer to 3 hours. Hot sweaty hours with steamy windows from the rain.



Can you imagine if this was your commute to work? You might arrive wet and wrinkled. However I have noticed that the workers all look fresh. I don't know their secret, I usually have skin glowing with perspiration and my clothes generally appear wrinkled and wet. I'm such a foreigner.

This morning we had no running water because the level has gotten too low in the tank to pump the water. I discovered that I can wash my hair and body with a 1.5 litre bottle of rain water. You do what ya gotta do.

I'm at a friends with internet so I should try and post some photos quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment